Made by Marion

Friday, December 08, 2006

Nasturtiums with zip Size: H:122xW:74cm

This is the quilt I made after picking some nasturtiums for a salad a couple of months ago. First I made the background from odd ieces of cotton simply zig-zagged together with overlapping edges. I then finished the background off as a quilt with binding and zig-zag quilting.
That left the leaves and flowers which were all made individually with dressmaking stiffening inside a double turned piece which was then stitched quite heavily to give some substance to the petals and leaves. I then stitched these on by hand, some with invisible stitching and some with embroidery thread. Then I added some flat shiny glass beads to the flowers only but I'm still considering whether to add anything to the dark leaves. I quite like the darkness as a contrast to the flowers. This quilt is all cotton which is unusual for me. I had forgotten what it was like to use.


At 3:42 pm, Blogger Terri said...

Oh I love it. The orange and yellows look perfect. Very zippy indeed. :o)


Post a Comment

<< Home