Made by Marion

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Bottlebrush


A few weeks ago I sent two entries into an exhibition at the Braemar Gallery in the Blue Mountains a little west of Sydney in NSW and both got in. The exhibition is always on some aspect of re-fabricating and has been curated by Anabelle Solomon since it started some years ago now.
They were not new quilts so you may have seen this picture before. I just got news that this is the one which sold, so I am pretty chuffed at selling two in the month.
This is a wool quilt and the flowers are knitted with a loop stitch so they are quite 3 dimensional. The dark leaves are the remnants of a pheran I brought back from Kashmir for my sister, and which was very thick felted wool. (A pheran is a sort of coat under which the locals carry a small fire-pot in winter, so that everyone looks pregnant. ) The rest of the leaves and background are hand-dyed woollen blanket. It is not very big - 65 x 77cm.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 am, Blogger The Idaho Beauty said...

So unusual. I particularly like the background yellow. Looks hand-dyed, but at any rate, not a color I'd think to use. But it works wonderfully here.

 
At 10:33 am, Blogger Terri said...

I'd not seen this one before, so glad you posted the pic. Congrats on selling yet another quilt. Well done you!! :o)

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger margaret said...

Gorgeous! I love the contrast, and the loopy-knit flowers.

 
At 3:55 am, Blogger artmixter said...

this is delicious, Marion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home